Jeep 4×4 Capabilities
Wondering what’s possible with a Jeep Cherokee 4×4 or Jeep Grand Cherokee 4×4 system? Jeep 4×4 sets the standard for off-road mechanical capability, and can bring you places off-road you’ve never been – or just make it easier to get out of a snowdrift or mud! Curious about Jeep 4×4 capabilities? Follow this simple guide from Vande Hey Brantmeier.
What is a 4×4 System?
4×4 systems are a lot like AWD drivetrains, in that they deliver power to all four wheels on a vehicle. That means if any of your wheels can’t find traction with the ground, there are others that can do the heavy lifting to keep you moving. In the past, there was a slight learning curve using a simple 4×4 system because differences in traction when turning would put stress on the drivetrain when engaged on pavement. Now, advanced Jeep 4×4 systems employ sophisticated differential technology to make sure all the parts of your system are easy to use, reliable, and working in harmony.
Jeep Grand Cherokee 4×4 Systems
The 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee has four available 4×4 systems made to ease driving in inclement weather and off-road conditions near Appleton. These systems include:
- Quadra-Trac I® 4×4 system – All-weather peace of mind and capability, with a standard brake lock differential for everyday driving.
- Quadra-Trac II® 4×4 system – Automatic two-speed low-transfer mode detects slipping wheels in a variety of conditions and moves your engine’s power to the correct axle. Use its Auto mode for driving on pavement, or dial in Sport, Snow, Sand/Mud, or Rock for more specific driving conditions
- Quadra-Drive II® 4×4 system with Rear Electronic Limited Slip Differential – Take advantage of all four wheels with the most advanced Jeep 4×4 system, capable of transferring all of your vehicle’s torque to a single rear wheel in the worst driving conditions.
- Quadra-Trac® SRT® 4×4 system – Grand Cherokee SRT® and Trackhawk® models use this superior 4×4 system to handle the power delivered by their 6.4L V8 and Supercharged 6.2L V8 engines, with all of the capabilities delivered by the Quadra-Drive II®.
Jeep Cherokee 4×4 Systems
The 2019 Jeep Cherokee provides Green Bay area drivers with a choice of three available 4×4 systems delivering control and traction that matches the selected trim level. These systems include:
- Jeep® Active-Drive I 4×4 system – Useful when encountering unexpected obstacles on daily drives, this system automatically engages the Cherokee 4WD mode when the system detects wheel slippage.
- Jeep® Active-Drive II 4×4 system – This system features the same technology and mechanics as Active-Drive I, with the added capability of 4×4 Low mode and neutral for flat towing behind an RV or other large vehicles.
- Jeep® Active-Lock 4×4 system – Standard equipment on the Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk® configuration, this system adds a mechanical rear axle lock and exclusive Selec-Terrain® Traction Management Rock mode for more extreme off-road conditions.
Jeep Wrangler 4×4 Systems
The iconic Jeep Wrangler for sale is the recognized standard in off-road capability. Its Rubicon configuration was even named 4×4 of the Decade by Four Wheeler magazine. Wrangler offers two different 4×4 systems, but they’re more than capable:
- Command-Trac® 4×4 system – The standard by which many other 4×4 systems are measured, with a transfer case that’s smooth, quiet, and tough in a variety of conditions from rocks to ice.
- Rock-Trac® 4×4 system – Delivered with the Wrangler Rubicon, and offering superior off-road performance using a 4:1 low-gear ratio, this system gives its drivers the ability to crawl over boulders at low speeds, without sacrificing torque.
Other Jeep 4×4 Systems
- Jeep® Active Drive 4×4 system – Providing 4×4 capability without sacrificing the efficiency Compass and Renegade drivers look for, this 4×4 system automatically manages traction with modes for every day Auto driving, along with Snow, Sport, and Sand/Mud.
- Jeep® Active Drive Low 4×4 system – Building on the Jeep® Active Drive system, Trailhawk® configurations for both Compass and Renegade add a 20:1 crawl ratio and low range for Trail Rated® capability.
Feel the 4×4 Difference in a New Jeep For Sale in Chilton
Want to feel the difference one of the many Jeep 4×4 systems can make? Test out their capabilities yourself by scheduling a test drive at Vande Hey Brantmeier. Here, our knowledgeable sales team, friendly finance experts, and experienced service technicians work together to deliver vehicles that meet the unique needs of Appleton area drivers. Contact us, stop by our showroom, and learn more.
More from Vande Hey Brantmeier
What’s the greatest need for a growing family? Space! And lots of it! For minivan shoppers in the Chilton area, the Chrysler Pacifica interior offers a technology unlike other minivans in its class — and some SUVs. With 3rd row seating, the Chrysler Pacifica seating capacity rivals SUVs. Thanks to foldable 2nd- and 3rd-row seating,…
When you’re looking for the perfect pickup truck, it’s important to take into account how much you plan on towing and hauling between Manitowoc and Appleton. RAM 1500 towing capacity can reach as high as 12,750 pounds, and payload capacity tops out at 2,300 pounds when properly equipped. Learn more about what each engine has…
When you take home a Jeep Wrangler in Appleton, you’re already taking home one of the most capable SUVs on the planet. But sometimes, that’s not enough for off-road enthusiasts in Manitowoc and Sheboygan. Are you looking to lift your Jeep for even more performance? Vande Hey Brantmeier can teach you how to lift your Jeep to…